Friday, January 2, 2009

Thing 6 - Technology

I think technology is great and students love it. Students come to me at all different levels of computer usage and knowledge. I get kids that know more than I do about computers and others that can barely turn the computer on. However, one thing that all that students seem to like is video games or games on the computer. I find that my students become really interested in learning if things are presented to them like a game. I recently looked into the possibility of having the students create their own games online. There are many programs that you can buy out there to help with this, however with our economy and the limited funds for our department I am always looking for free or cheap stuff. In my search, I stumbled upon a free program from MIT called Scratch. The website address is http://scratch.mit.edu This site allows students to create and play their own video games. There are tutorials to help along the way also. They can also play games created by other students. I am just getting started with creating a game myself. If things go good and I can trouble shoot where students my get stuck and find answers to those problems, I my give it a go in the fourth marking period as a trial run. I think students would gain programming skills and problem solving skills along the way of building their own game. They would also have a piece of work that they could show there friends and family. I also think the kids would get excited about this project. If anyone has any other cool programs, pass them my way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment