Sunday, January 25, 2009

Thing 23- Done? Yeah Right!

Wow! What an experience! The time has flew by, but I have learned a great deal of information and plan on putting it to use. The tools that we used were great and I know we have only scraped the top of the iceberg of technology uses, especially with the ever changing technology world. Our kids our no longer community learners. In order to compete, they have to be able to be global learners and technology is the way to get them there. I agreed with the gentlemen at the end of the video that students don't need to be able to spit back answers. In order for them to be able to compete in the future job market they will need to know how to find information, validate it, synthesis it, leverage it, communicate it and problem solve with it. We have to stop using old ways and start using the tools that are out there to prepare them for the future or we will do them a great injustice. What I plan to do with this technology I learned is to create a PLN, share the class with colleagues, and utilize it in the classroom and along with other technologies that come along. I going to ask my district tech department to look closer at what they choose to filter. Mike Kaechele and I are working together to do a presentation to our district middle school teachers about this class and the various web 2.0 tools that they can us in their classrooms on Feb 13th. I am also work with him to develop the paperless classroom and aligning our curriculum. This was a great opportunity for me. I got more out of this class than I did out of most my Masters classes I took and paid money for. You can never stop learning as a teacher unless you want to do your students an injustice. I can't wait to share these technologies with my students. I am DONE with the class, but not with continuing with learning new technology tools.

4 comments:

  1. Check out my attempts to go paperless and engage my students.

    http://schneiderwebdesign.blogspot.com/
    http://moodle.remc8.k12.mi.us/course/view.php?id=581

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have great insight and your blog entries are so detailed. Congratulations on great "class participation."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My blogs are high school students. So . . .
    I don't have as much WEB 2.0 access in my middle school tech classes. But where can I explore Skype, I thought it was an Internet phone service. My son attempted to use Skype in Iraq with li=mited success.

    ReplyDelete