Sunday, January 18, 2009

Thing 22 - online videos

I love YouTube, TED, and TeacherTube. I like YouTube because of the ease of posting videos and that there are such a broad array of topics that you can research and view. I especially like it when I am trying to do something new and want to see how to do it. For instance, how to tie a fly. You can watch videos on this topic and teach yourself. The only thing that I don't like is that some things aren't censored and you could be put on without even knowing it. The ease of that happening is incredible. For instance, you could take your camera phone and take a video of anyone doing anything and then upload it to youtube without the permission of any of the people you taped. I know I don't want my own children plastered all over the web without my permission. This I guess is the scariest part for me and it is the price of have the technology capabilities that we do. I guess you just have to hope that people have some sort of ethics.

I did find some cool videos that I could use in the classroom both on YouTube and TeacherTube. I found two really great geometry videos that I could use in my classroom. One was a group of students exploring the principles of triangles and why they are used in construction of various real world things. They used balloons in their demonstration. The other video that was cool was a video called "Quadrilateral Rap by Bob." The video raped about the principles of a quadrilateral and the video starred a little bobble head of Dwight from the "Office."
The video was really ingenious. These are things that would help students remember about quadrilaterals. I still remember sayings that where taught to me in school to help remember information.

As far as access in our building of YouTube, it is not allowed. However the good news is that we can access TeacherTube. I can see myself using this in the near future in my tech and geometry classes. Technology is Great!

1 comment:

  1. My district Technology Department just allowed staff access to You Tube this year. The kids cann;t access it which is goo for the reasons you stated above. I am glad that the staff finally got to use it though since there is a lot of great stuff there. You do have to be careful what you get into from time to time and definitly have to preview everything. TeacherTube is good too just not as much to choose from. Keep up the good work on the 23 things. Looking forward to seeing your progress. :)

    ReplyDelete