Friday, January 16, 2009

Thing 19 - social bookmarking

I think social bookmarking is a great idea. I know there have been several times where I have found great educational site at home and then I go to school and can't remember the web address or the search I did to find it. I've even had to have my wife copy and paste the web address into an email and send it to me at school. Social bookmarking can be a useful way to store information because you and people like you can organize information based on your interests and weed out the fluff. The advantages is that it can cut down on some of your searching and you can access your bookmarks from anywhere. They are no longer just saved to one specific computer. The disadvantage is that you may miss information or people may tag differently than you do. There are many things to think about before you assign a tag to bookmarks. For starters, does your tag relate to the information. For example, if the information is on dogs, you probably shouldn't tag it as elephants. Tags should also be appropriate. You need to remember this is public and you should use some Internet etiquette. (ie. No profanity)Remember once you post it, all can see. I think I'll like using social bookmarks in the next lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment