Monday, January 5, 2009

Thing 10- Creating my own Wiki

Well like I said in my last blog, I decided to use pbwiki. It was really easy to use this wiki. I did take the webinar on it though. The webinar walked you through things step by step. It was about 17 minutes long, but showed you how to use the advanced features. I quickly setup a 4 page wiki about a class project that I do with my 6Th graders on tissue paper hot air balloons. On the first page, I gave the students a overview of the project and what was expected of them. I also gave the a materials page and a resource page. I also made a page for them to send responses and a check off list for the assignment tasks. Pbwiki also contained several easy to use pre-made document pages. I found these very user friendly. As I reflect on how I might use this in my professional life is I could use this in class for students to do projects and keep track of how individuals or groups are doing on there project tasks, especially using the to do list and check off list. However realistically, I may have a problem doing this because students would need there own e-mail address and the district filter may block this. Good question to ask the IT department about access. However, I saw on News 8 that Wyoming Public High School was granted permission by the State, along with 11 other schools, to pilot online classes. If school tech departments can do this, then we should be able to do Wikis. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I've played with several of the wikis and I liked PBwiki too but I didn't watch the video and may have missed some of the features you found useful. I will have to go back and watch the video now. I do like Wikispaces though because you can have them set up bulk accounts without e-mail addresses. I liked the way you set up the pages that type of project would lend itself to students making suggestions and discussing what worked etc. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete